divorceinfo.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 01:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
254503 Posts in 18125 Topics by 1389 Members
Latest Member: KraChadFireDang
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  divorceinfo.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Alabama Divorce Questions (Moderator: m_t)
| | |-+  Nothing is in my name....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nothing is in my name....  (Read 1376 times)
jojo

« on: July 05, 2008, 11:12:38 PM »

I have been married for 9 years. Husband has had affair and wants out. After the shock has worn off I'm realizing I may be screwed. All of our vehicles are in his name. The bank account is in his name. The house is handed down from his family, his home but technically not in his name however I would think I wouldn't be privy to the home. Therefore, what are my chances of getting anytype of financial settlement? I have paid the bills, bought the groceries, kept the house up but nothing is in my name. Huh
Lee Borden
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:06:53 AM »

Not to worry. Judges pay less attention than you might think to name in which spouses hold property. If the asset was purchased with income earned during the marriage, it's likely to be a marital asset, and you're entitled to your share of it. So take a deep breath and get to work. You'll want to read all you can about how divorce works and not do anything quickly. Slow down. Insist on understanding all about your rights and duties before signing anything.

Helping people survive divorce
Lee's site: http://www.divorceinfo.com
Lee's blog: http://www.divorceinfo.com/blog
tthomkatt

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »

im no lawyer, but if any of those items are not payed for and your name is on the note, including any joint accounts involving debts such as credit cards, doesnt matter who the judge awards them to or who he tells to pay for them, if the companies dont get paid,, they can put it on BOTH of your credit reports.  lots of luck
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: