divorceinfo.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 06:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
254499 Posts in 18125 Topics by 1382 Members
Latest Member: Brenda Charrier
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  divorceinfo.com
|-+  Longleaf Breeze
| |-+  The Longleaf Breeze Social
| | |-+  fall gardening
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: fall gardening  (Read 2364 times)
livealittle

« on: November 06, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

We are going to try to have a fall garden of cool weather plants this year. We planted lettuce seeds and have been looking for broccoli and other cool weather crops locally. We got 11 inches of rain right after I planted the lettuce seeds and none have sprouted. I think they either got washed away or they rotted.

are you doing anything?
H0$$
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »

We can actually get in two summer gardens here. I still have peas, cucumber, tomatoes and okra right now to pick. I plant the first one in April and the second one about the end of July to first of August. We usually don't get our first frost until after Thanksgiving.
livealittle

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »

we do two crops of sweet corn and still have beans finishing and a few tomatoes still on the vine. We were trying for the cool weather crops with the lettuce - really enjoyed that fresh lettuce this past spring.

you are a little south of me, Hoss, so you have a bit longer season than we do. Lee is south of me some, too.
H0$$
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »

Yes, and it is interesting how just a few miles further south can make so much growing difference in plants. Just a few degrees. Our winter seems to come later than it used to. When I was a kid I can remember some cold Octobers and even cool weather in September. Now September isn't much different than August and cool nights never show up until October. Most of our "real" winter is in January and February.
Lee Borden
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »

Liv, we feel your pain! This has been absolutely the wettest weather we can remember, and when everything you do is on the side of a hill, erosion is a huge issue during a season like this. That having been said, we're getting good germination from our red sail lettuce and from the peas, parsley, and collards. The brussel sprouts are doing well too. We're about to give up on growing herbs from seed, though. Amanda has tried twice, and it has been a bust both times. She's ready to just buy the plants instead.

Helping people survive divorce
Lee's site: http://www.divorceinfo.com
Lee's blog: http://www.divorceinfo.com/blog
livealittle

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

we had great luck with some basil and oregano from small plants last year. didn't have much luck with the marjoram.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: