divorceinfo.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2016, 09:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
254593 Posts in 18150 Topics by 1410 Members
Latest Member: GeraldMurN
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  divorceinfo.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  All About Money (Moderator: m_t)
| | |-+  joint bank account
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: joint bank account  (Read 2296 times)
lostinblue

« on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »

My husband and I have been living seperately for 3 months, We have not closed up our joint bank account. Due to the divorce process in near future, I really like to close it, but my husband doesn't response to my phone calls. I'm wondering if the bank allows me close it solely. Does every one here know this? thanks.
livealittle

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »

legally, until there is a court order, anyone on the bank account can do whatever he/she wants to with that money. If one spouse takes it all and the other was entitiled to part or all of it, then the judge can later order the spouse who emptied the account to repay the amount.

Cam

ppppbbbtttt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

You can have your name removed from the account but you cannot have his name removed or the account closed without his signature. 

My x cleaned out our savings and investments over a period of time.  Here that is legal.  As we both would have had access to those accounts to do as we pleased.  Our checking account was drawn down also over a short period of time.  Once again we both had access to this account and I was told it wouldn't have mattered if he had used it to gamble or by rounds for the bar.  Equal opportunity.  The only difference would have been solid proof that he drew the money out at once just because of the divorce.   A really hard fact to prove.   I believe seperate checking accounts and keep as much cash on hand as you can.  My x was smart, well advised and very prepared.  

Make sure any accounts such as power, phone, propane and such that you both have access to are kept in both your names with protected passwords.  Another way he got me.  He took my name off the accounts, legal, when he put passwords on them to protect the accounts.  A requirement from those companies.  Then he had the accounts closed without my knowledge or consent.  I was the original account holder before we were married and it didn't matter once the passwords were in place.  I had to reopen and redeposit each one.  I was in Denver for a HEO get together when I found out and had to fly home immediately.  I had horses and other animals and no water without electricity.  Crazy what they will do.  

Foolish me just couldn't believe he was capable of so much deceit, deception and down right cruelty.  Now he cringes and suffers deeply from his actions.  Yet they were and are his actions to face in the mirror every day not my burden to bear.  

So first and formost take all opportunities to protect yourself.  No matter how much love there was it can just get crazy.  
InDenial

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

I believe the bank will let either person close it solely.

However I think it would be better to withdraw HALF the money, and send him an email letting him know that you've done that, and that he is free to close the account himself and take the remainder of the money.

lostinblue

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »

Thanks a lot for your replies. I feel welcomed here.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: